Thursday, February 7, 2013

We Have a Court Date!

We have a court date! We have a court date! It’s February 19th! Unfortunately, it’s not as soon as we hoped, but it’s what we expected.. That means Brian can head home on February 20th.

Sunday afternoon we were in a different room with some desks. Aleksey was with us, and he lost a few times to V*ktor at Battleship. I’m getting smart enough not to play those games with V*ktor unless I want to lose - haha. He said we could stay awhile because they were free for the night. So, we stayed a little longer but knew C was on the verge of crankiness. So, we headed back to the hotel and grabbed dinner.

Monday, our hope was for us to get a call from the social worker. Our translator, Aleksey, said be ready by 9 just in case. So, I started a bath at 8. It ran and ran and ran… ice cold water. When I asked Aleksey about it he said that he just took a cold shower. I pleaded for him to ask if it would be back any time soon. The only thing worse than a cold shower is a cold bath! When he asked, it was apparent it might be awhile. So, my hair went into a French braid and oh well! I checked out the market and ended up finding packages of diapers! Yaaa! Buying them one by one at the supermarket or pharmacy was seeming pretty absurd to me- especially at that price. They had a ton of other stuff down there that I will have to see another time. We waited and waited most of the day for our paperwork with no luck. Boo! We went to see V*ktor, though, and we were back in the playroom. Aleksey was meeting with different people at the orphanage, so he was in and out. V*ktor had to run off for a meeting once. Otherwise, just another day of playing cards and visiting - yaa! We walked over to a little store that’s RIGHT outside the orphanage gate. Apparently the kids are allowed to go there and teachers sometimes hang out in the little “café” area with a TV. After we got back to the room, the water was warm again so I caught a quick bath before Brian had to start work. C and I went down for dinner with Aleksey, and Brian worked. We brought up dinner for him.

Tuesday morning, I started getting really discouraged when we didn’t hear anything at 9, or 9:30, or 10. At 10:20, though, Aleksey called and said let’s go in 30 minutes! So, we headed out and took a car to the notary where we signed papers. Then, he said “let’s go” and away we went back to our room where he read (translated) some documents to us. We signed several copies of those, and while that was happening he got a phone call that the social worker was done with her report. Double Yaaaa! So, we raced out the door following Aleksey. I hadn’t realized where this social worker was (right across the street) so at first I was thinking “Oy! Long sprint a mile down the road trying to keep up and pushing a stroller!” Thankfully, it was close, though. We went into the office. It was the same office with the same ladies who did our initial interview the day we got into town before we were sent to the orphanage. We were there what seemed like forEVER as Aleksey got papers together, made copies, and kept talking to the ladies. He was reading over documents, too, and of course I‘m trying to read every expression on whether what he‘s reading is good or bad. I try so hard not to worry, but I just WONDER what in the world is going on half the time! If you’re on this adoption journey, a need to know details and keep track of everything that’s happening will really help you on the US side of things. It will be invaluable. Really. It will drive you to INSANITY while you’re in Ukr*ine, though! I’m constantly following around without a clue what’s happening, listening to a translation of a paper, then jumping up to follow along to the next location! It’s maddening- lol! After that exchange in the social worker’s office (that lasted probably 45min-an hour), Aleksey said she had recommended us for adoption that it’s in V*ktor’s best interest. So, he said get ready to go and left the room. He has realized by now that getting ready to go is a process for us. Dressing C up in a snowsuit, coat, hat, gloves, and boots takes a wee bit of time. When we were done, we assumed he was outside, so we trudged out of the building with backpack, stroller, and super-bundled baby. He was nowhere to be seen! So, we hung out for a few minutes until he ran by pointing to another building telling us to go in the lobby and wait. So, we did. After about 5-10 minutes, he came in that building and said we needed to go to the 3rd floor. So, up we went! We went in an office where a lady intentionally kept her eyes on her computer screen the whole time he was talking to her. She finally looked up to answer him and took the papers. “Time to go!” lol! I should get used to this J We went back to the hotel, and Aleksey went to put the papers on a train to Kiev. We went to the orphanage to visit V*ktor. When we told him we were pretty sure the court date, he started doing the math in his head and came up with 28 days until he gets to leave. He’s READY! On the way out we went to that little store by the orphanage again and he wanted to get some treats for friends and teachers. Well, what can we say to that? Okay J After our visit, Aleksey came back and we ate dinner while Brian worked. Then he was off to Kiev! We will see him in a few weeks for court.

Today, we slept late, but then got ready to head over to the market. Yesterday I got a tea kettle so we can cook ramen noodles and heat other things up in the room. We are apparently only budgeted for 30 days here and it’s obviously going to be a lot longer. We’re saving money wherever we can. Those of you who know me well realize that I am pretty good at it J Otherwise, we’re trusting God to provide the rest if we fall short at the end. I wanted to price compare all the food and such at the market to the grocery store right by our hotel. Brian and C tagged along - I told him it was in case I bought a heavy jug of water and he had to carry it. Really, I just wanted the company - haha. I had heard from my friend how obsessive these people are about children being bundled. So, adults are walking around in light jackets and no scarves, hats, or gloves. My child is bundled in a complete snowsuit with winter boots. Several people have approached me over the past few days when she is not wearing gloves. They grab her little hands and I can totally tell what they’re saying (that she needs to be wearing gloves) even though I don’t know the language. So funny! Helloooooo- she’s wearing a snowsuit and just pulled the gloves off!

Back at the room we ate PBJ, Brian worked for an hour, and we headed off on the hike to the orphanage. Took us only 23 minutes this time! While we were there Aleksey called with our official court time! We will have court on February 19th at 1PM!!! Soooo exciting!

Tonight, Brian had some meetings and I had to vacate the room with C for an hour and half. So, I ate some Ramen noodles first and then intended to just order vereneki. Ah well, communication error and I got a little more food than I intended, but it was very yummy! C slept the WHOLE time and I enjoyed a book on the Kindle my awesome friend B let me borrow for the trip. I stopped at the grocery store for some frozen pelmeni Brian requested and came back to the room. He cooked it in the teakettle and gave some to C since she had slept through dinner. It wasn’t bad! Now, I’m trying to get cranky baby to sleep since she had such a long nap earlier!

As far as the process goes, we are just waiting on court. Then, due to the date of court, it will be a full 2 weeks until I can pick him up. After that, probably another week and a half at least. Thank you all for continued prayers! Love from Ukr*ine!

No comments:

Post a Comment