Friday, February 1, 2013

We saw V*ktor!!!!

We got to see V*ktor!!!! It was so good to give him a big hug and see his smile J I just realized my last update was Monday afternoon, so I have some catching up to do!

Monday evening we got to talk to Mom and B on Skype. It was really good to see them! Later, we met up with the other family for supper at a café (kind of like Picadily). It was nice because we could just point to the food and get what we wanted. Plus, there were some other English-speaking customers who were very helpful when we weren’t sure what something was. We headed to the grocery store where I thought I was buying milk… apparently not, but by the time I figured it out I was at the register with a ton of people behind me and I wasn’t sure about Ukrainian etiquette on putting something back. So, I bought some pretty gross liquid yogurt. Needless to say I didn’t finish it. Afterwards, we walked a little through an underground mall, but we were kind of exhausted at that point so we didn’t stay too long.

Tuesday, we got up late morning and packed everything. The other family came over with their things to leave in our apartment since they had to check out of theirs. We went on a walking tour of the city. Funny enough, we spent almost half of it at a café (our choice) eating - lol! Leave it to us that we eat instead of tour. We walked around and the guide told us some history. We saw a beautiful monestary/church called St. Sophia. The guide was delightful, the P family perfect company, and the sights were great. I really don’t take in history very well, so I can’t tell you more than that. Oh! C slept the entire tour after we ate. She was wrapped in the moby on Brian inside his coat. I can’t even begin to describe the looks we got with her legs dangling out the bottom of his coat! Enjoy the photo J Our tour ended at the SDA where we met up with our facilitator, went in, signed, and picked up our papers. Piled 7 of us in a car (think mid-size like a Taurus) and back to the apartment where we grabbed our stuff. We parted ways with the other family and headed to our train.

Apparently their typical plan is for Americans to grab McDonald’s as we hop on the train. It’s a good thing we had 2 facilitators with us who helped carry everything to the train. There’s no ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act), so elevators are pretty uncommon. LOTS of stairs to haul C down in her stroller. Once we got to our compartment, though, we got everything settled in. Some people came and asked to use our upper storage space for their painting, so we handed our stroller to strangers and put their painting up there. Only later did the thought cross my mind that they may be getting off before us while we were sound asleep! Thankfully, they had the same destination. We were in “first class” which is 2 beds. Our facilitator in region is Aleksey, who we just met as we boarded the train (there are lots of different facilitators who help us along the way). He stayed in the 2nd class with 4 beds on a top bunk in another car. Honestly, it wasn’t a terrible way to travel. It got pretty stuffy and hot in there, but otherwise we rode along doing crossword puzzles, making up long drawn out math problems (we are fully aware that we are complete dorks), and later watching a movie on the laptop. Unfortunately, C did NOT think it was an ideal way to travel or to sleep. So, after sleeping for about 4 hours, she was pretty much screaming and crying from 2AM-5AM. That is very atypical for her, but she’s been through a lot of change and interrupted sleep schedules for several days. It was a nightmare for us, but we knew it had to end sooner or later! We slept until 8 when Ukrainian music started playing in our compartment. By 9:45, we had all our luggage out and ready to get off the train. Fifteen and a half hours - whew! A car was waiting for us, and we headed to V*ktor’s town!!! The first stop was dropping stuff at the hotel. Then whisked to the social worker where they asked us a few questions. Mostly, they talked to us. When the lady asked if V*ktor knew and what he had said. I told her, “He said YES YES YES TELL THEM YES!” She laughed and apparently decided the interview was pretty much over. We headed to the orphanage where we didn’t think we would get to see him yet since he was in class. I have a whole new appreciation of how V*ktor felt in America. Seriously, it’s so weird following somebody into a place, hearing an exchange of words, having no idea what is said, and then being told “okay, we’re going somewhere else now.” Half the time you don’t know what’s going on or if things are going as they’re supposed to go. They took us to what seemed to be a playroom with several couches and left us there with Aleksey. He said they were going to get V*ktor!

It was a very long few minutes waiting for him to get down there. We jumped up to give him big hugs and sat down where he immediately reached for C. We talked to him for a few minutes and kept waiting for the 2 observing social workers to ask questions or something. It was really awkward just being watched like that. We hadn’t brought any of our gifts for V*ktor or his friends because we didn’t realize we’d see him. The social workers asked him if there was anything in the room he wanted to do, and he said no. This was “girl” room - lol! They eventually left and a guy came in. He was really friendly and talked a lot more - asked questions of us. Whatever any of them were saying to him, V*ktor had big smiles and kept nodding his head yes as he talked while he played with C. After everyone was gone and it was just us with V and Aleksey, he opened up more and it seemed more natural. Then, when Aleksey left it was even better. V*ktor is just really shy and I think felt like he was on the spot with all those people in there. After about 10-15 minutes, Aleksey appeared with the social worker and said we needed to go now. They’re very abrupt “okay, time to go! V*ktor needs to go back to class, now.” It takes a minute to bundle C into her snow pants, boots, coat, and hat. We did it as quickly as possible, but still felt like they all thought we were taking an eternity! We hugged goodbye and were told we could return from 3-5. The car left with the social worker, and we were on foot from then on out. I was sooooo glad we had the stroller! First, we headed to a notary who seemed very busy and uninterested in helping. We showed her our passports, more words exchanged, and then “okay, time to go!” I asked Aleksey if that went okay and if she was going to do it for us. He said it took some time to prepare and we needed to come back later. Onward back to the hotel where we ate in the restaurant for lunch.

Our second trip to the orphanage was much better and more relaxed. First, we had to stop and pick up the papers to sign at the notary. We were late getting there, but finally made it through the snow. At this point, V*ktor just met us there in the hallway and took us up to a classroom where 2 boys were watching TV. They always locked the door whenever somebody came in or left. We though it odd until we realized that the door didn’t latch unless locked. There, he showed us his desk with pictures A and B had colored and sent to him. He got out the violin, but didn’t play for us since the other kids were watching TV. He was wearing his cross necklace we sent. I told him how each of his cousins and A had one as well in all different colors. After showing us “around” his classroom a little, we played checkers. Not so shocking, he beat us both rather quickly. Then, Brian and V played battleship. C had a dirty diaper and I realized I had no wipes with me. Oh well, Kleenex would have to work! It was fine. As I headed out the door to go throw it away (in the downstairs bathroom), I ran right into his roommate J. I promptly gave him a hug (which seemed to shock him, but he let me hug him anyway) as I ran out the door. By the time I got back, it was time to go, so we packed up and headed out just as the classroom started to fill with kids and a man who was there to supervise study hall. V*ktor walked us out to the door of the orphanage and gave us hugs as we left. We will go back today to see him again!


Last night I ventured out to the grocery store. I wish I had gone with Aleksey, but he was running around getting papers. I tried to buy shampoo and conditioner. The lady kept pointing to what I could tell was the “2 in 1” which doesn’t work at all for my long hair. Finally, she pointed to 2 different ones. I thanked her and took them. (Only this morning did I find out that it was just 2 shampoos.) When I tried to mime diapers, they showed me individually wrapped diapers. WHAT??? So weird! LOL! I asked for bananas, but they didn’t have any. At this point, I was just SURE that this must not be the “big” grocery store Aleksey had described. I went ahead and bought what I could, then headed back to the hotel. A few minutes later, Aleksey was back and I told him that surely I was in the wrong store. He took me there to the same store… Anyway, he asked about the diapers and it was, in fact, only the individually wrapped diapers. I asked if there was nowhere to sell packages of diapers? It’s not that I NEEDED a whole package of diapers, but in my experience you save a lot of money buying bigger quantities of such things! We went to a few pharmacies (which seem to be as plentiful as pharmacies in the US), and they only sold individual diapers as well. Aleksey explained that people don’t have the money to buy more than a few at a time. So, I will be buying diapers individually while I’m here! They’re name brand and about 32 cents apiece. At home, I pay about 14 cents a diaper. Oh well! I didn’t really have the luggage space to haul a lot of diapers with me anyway even if I had known ahead of time.

We ate dinner at the hotel and were able to skype with A and B! A had a snow day from school. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have been able to catch him at the house. Our hotel room is good for us. The staff is so wonderful. They are really going out of their way to help us out with whatever we need. The housekeeper brought a crib for C to use! Brian had to put it together first, which was a little funny considering there were no directions. It works great, though! She also brought me extra pillows. She really laughed when I told her I usually use 4, but 2 would be fine. (Thankfully, my friend M had left travel pillows and blankets for us to use.) Our room has a television with only Ukrainian channels. Brian still feels the need to turn it on and watch sports shows and discovery channel, though J We have what I think is a king bed (it’s at least bigger than a queen) and a sectional couch and chair with a table. We have a dorm-sized fridge, and there is a bathroom with HUGE tub and sink. The toilet (and another sink) are in a different bathroom. We had been warned that ALL toilets and bathrooms smell in Ukraine. We found this to be very true, and just keep the door closed to the toilet bathroom! The room actually smells okay otherwise. At first, I thought the bed would be comfortable, but after a night on it, I plan to use the camping air mattress I brought with me.

This morning we slept late and ate in the room. Then, we headed back to the orphanage again to see V*ktor! This time, we were back in the playroom. He said there was a big group of kids upstairs playing. We talked for a while, played legos with Chella, played go-fish, and talked to the director about bringing toys and things for the other kids. He said we can take V*ktor to eat in town on Saturday - yaa! Tomorrow, we will see him again from 3-5 at the orphanage. We ate pizza with Aleksey on the way back to our room. C fell asleep and is still asleep now. Great. Another night of a baby who doesn’t want to sleep! Ahh well, as they say in Ukraine “It’s okaaaaaaaay!”

No comments:

Post a Comment