Wednesday, July 11, 2012

12 Hours

A little over 12 hours ago - I put on a swimsuit and got everything ready for a day at the beach! Baby C was ready to put her toes in the sand for the first time ever, B couldn't WAIT to build a sandcastle!  A and V were ready to use their waterguns.  My sis made our family chicken salad recipe, we loaded sunscreen, towels, blankets, food, a cooler, more food... You get the picture. 
12 hours later - I am sitting (still in my swimsuit) in a hospital room watching this precious, BRAVE kid and praying for his fast recovery so he can enjoy the next 3 weeks with us.

Just as we all arrived at the beach, Vikt*r said he didn't feel good. He had been sleeping most of the way there, so at first we thought motion sickness.  Got them all out of the car and started trying to herd people to the beach thinking he may feel better once he was moving.  Only 10 steps onto the beach and he just sat in the sand :(  Then back in the shade he started throwing up.  After an attempt at dramamine and a quick look from my aweome brother-in-law Dr. J, it was decided that he needed to have tests at the hospital. So, J and I drove to the nearest ER (45 minutes away). Throughout the day, we had several conversations with cousin N to translate on how he was feeling, what they were going to do with the IV, what was going to happen with the CT scan, and finally - preparing him for surgery.  We were super blessed with awesome ER staff who kept handing me their phones to use so that I could conserve the battery on mine (that wasn't charged very well because who needs a phone at the beach?)
B and baby C came to the hospital and got there just as Vikt*r was waking up from his appendectomy. I fed C while B sat with Vict*r. Then, I was sitting with him just rubbing his head. He seemed to be dozing off and on, but every time I stopped rubbing his forehead his eyes opened just a little to make sure I was still there.  B and baby C went home with J. Earlier in the ER visit, he had typed on the tablet translator asking if he would have to stay the night. I said "Yanis Nayo" (I don't know). He seemed a tiny bit worried until I typed "I will not leave you." Then there was a pretty big smile he sheepishly tried to hide as he turned over to rest knowing he wouldn't be alone. So, that's why leaving to go home with C tonight wasn't really an option.  Oh the Places You'll Pump!
I am just continually AMAZED at this kid - at his bravery, his strength, his sweetness, and just adore his smile.  So funny - when he woke up from surgery they said he asked "Finished?" Then started shaking hands and saying "thank you" to all the people in the room.  What a sweetheart!
Here in his room, he has finished watching Cars 2 and snuggled down to sleep.  Every now and then his eyes flutter open long enough to see me and then drift back off to sleep.  It breaks my heart to think that this could have happened to him back in his country. Who would have sat here with him rubbing his head, telling him it was okay, and praying for his comfort?  What kind of surgery would he have had in a rural hospital?  Would it be laproscopic? How long would he stay in the hospital... alone? THANK YOU Lord that he was here and this was the plan for him and for us.
Our vacation? Who knows how/when it will end.  All I know is that if he wasn't here and we had our "perfect" day at the beach, Vikt*r's day would have been FAR from perfect and we are all truly blessed and privileged to be a part of his life.  Please continue to pray for this terrific young man and for his future.
PS - B got to build her sandcastle with Daddy, I think that C put her toes in the sand (and if she didn't she won't remember anyway- haha), and A had a blast with the watergun and playing in the ocean :)  Just because I never made it that far doesn't mean it wasn't a success with Dad and Aunt M!
I'm so thankful for J spending the day here with me at the hospital. He not only welcomes our "traveling circus" into his home with open arms, he gave up the day with his Mom to make sure all was well with V (and his sweet Mom didn't mind a bit).  Many other people have been a huge help today with phone calls, prayers, and M watching kids :) We are super blessed!

3 comments:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes! So thankful that it happened here and not in Ukraine. You will be blessed for answering God's call to host! :)

    I cannot believe how quickly time if flying by with these precious kids. Aug 2 is going to be very difficult in a lot of homes! :)

    Blessings,
    Leigh Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Life is certainly full of surprises. Praying for Viktor to recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete