Saturday, August 25, 2012

We have Contact!

Wednesday morning, I was fumbling around trying to look something up quickly on the computer while still half asleep.  Then all at once I jolted awake faster than a sound asleep newborn baby when being laid in the crib for the 100th time...   There was a MESSAGE from V*ktor!!!!!!  Actually, there were several short sentences - love you, miss you, can I come back at winter break...  A and Brian immediately came over to the computer so they could read the few short words from V*ktor. It was so good to hear he was doing well.  Thursday, I caught him online and we did a quick videochat (B and C enjoyed it, too). The connection was pretty bad, but just the quick snippets in and out were GREAT to see his sweet smile and his friends coming in and out of the picture!  They are finally back at school, but classes haven't started, yet.
Yesterday morning, we were greeted with one of the sweetest videos ever...  Really...  It was so awesome!  "Hey!!!!... Mom.... Pop... It's Viktor... For you!...."

         He also had typed a few things to us.  He let us know that he had been practicing his violin and that he had so far been able to keep everything we gave him (he was worried things would get stolen... as they sometimes do at the orphanage).  Brian got to videochat with him over lunch yesterday :)  I use that term loosely, though.  When you need full handmotions and sound it's quite challenging to communicate when it's cutting in and out so badly!  Mostly, the communication is in the little window where you type and you occasionally hear snippets of the voice and see quick blurbs of video...  It's kind of funny... We send all our typed communication in Ukrainian and he sends all his in English.  You have to check the translators because sometimes it doesn't translate what you want it to say, so you occasionally have to play this back and forth game with the translator to get it right :)  So after I have written something to him, if I go back later and want to see what I wrote... I have to translate it!


Other happenings this week - A has started full soccer practices and is moving up to the BIG field this year. B had her preschool open house where she jumped right in playing with old friends and making new ones. She is really excited about preschool starting on Monday! C had her checkup with the pediatrician - looks good except that darn runny nose! She is starting to move around more and try to pull herself up... Well, maybe Mom is getting more comfortable leaving her on the floor to fend off the loving assaults of her big sister, so she's having more practice!




UPCOMING EVENTS  (some repeat, some new info) I have created some events and a facebook group to keep everyone updated on what we have going on.  Here is a quick rundown :)  If you would like to help with any of these things or have questions, just let me know!

Garage Sale Saturday Sept 8th 7:30am-5pm at Hometown Variety Store in Syracuse - We are having a garage sale.  Many of you have already told me you have things to donate for the sale. THANK YOU!!!  Wednesday and Thursday (Sept 5-6th), I will be at the store from 6-8PM so you can drop off items to sell. If you know that time doesn't work for you, or if you'd rather I come and get it, let me know!  I can meet you another time or just pick it up.

5K Run/Walk Saturday, Sept 29th    8AM at Unadilla Park  -  Registrations will be taken up until the race. However, only registrations turned in prior to Sept 15th are guaranteed a t-shirt in the requested size at the event. $25 before Sept 15th, $30 late registration any time after Sept 15th.  I have posted information on the public facebook event. Also, I can email the registration forms to you if you are not on facebook. Just let me know!  I will have registration forms at the Garage Sale on the 8th, so you can always come check out the sale and signup for the 5K!

 Tshirts - We are still taking orders for those! I will have the first shipment by the Garage Sale day on Sept 8th.

You can make donations here (not tax-deductible):
http://www.youcaring.com/fundraiser_details?url=bringviktorhome&fundraiser_id=7124

If you would prefer to make a tax-deductible donation, please contact me and I can give you details. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment