Monday, August 20, 2012

"I Refuse"

EVERY SINGLE DAY I check the "Russian facebook" account V*ktor set up for me hoping, praying that maybe just maybe he has found access to a computer... No such luck :( I only see the handful of messages I keep sending him that show up in my outbox.  I've heard he might be there tomorrow, but most likely it will still be another week or 2 before we could hear from him.  For now, I can only look at pictures and put together the ziploc bag I'm sending with the interview team next week!  (When the New Horizons team goes back to interview kids for winter hosting, they will take a gallon sized bag with them for prior hosted kids. It's a fundraiser for them and a great way for us to send things to him KNOWING he will get them!)  Here's a picture of what I'm sending (plus there will be cards and some more pictures that weren't printed in time to join the 400+ that he took home)!
                                                                          Hat, slinky, poprocks, gum, pixi stix (He sat and ate packets of sugar off the table at a restaurant one time, so I figured he might enjoy pixi stix :), silly putty, cards, balloon with rubber band thingy, glostix, floss, picture collage, and card from Mama. Will add card from Papa and pictures colored from A and B.



As we prayed about adoption and V*ktor's future, we knew that the money was an obstacle. Supporting him as our child isn't an issue, it's just a LOT of money to bring him here. Instead of focusing on that, we truly prayed that we were willing if God provided. So, we proceeded with the homestudy paperwork with faith knowing that it would come.  If it didn't and we did our part, then we knew it was out of our hands.  We immediately started to see donations come in and people wanting to buy t-shirts (they ARE pretty cool tshirts), help with fundraisers, and lots of encouragement. Every donation no matter the size means so much to us. The prayers and encouragement mean the world, too.  All of these things were enough to show us we were on the right track.  Remember the church that we met "by chance"  (if you've read my other blogs you know I believe in GOD, not chance)?  Well, they were so excited to hear about V*ktor coming back that they collected donations at their youth bake sale and plan to do something else this weekend!  Then, last Thursday night, I opened the mail to find a VERY substantial check from someone I met one time. It was completely overwhelming! We are incredibly touched to know that so many people support us and our sweet V*ktor. In the memo line it said "Bring our precious V*ktor home! :) " Seriously, I kind of looked up and laughed like "yeah, God, I get it :)"  With our donations so far, we are 13% to fully funded!   In just TWO WEEKS!

Part of why we started this was to teach our kids that we need to LIVE God's word... Not just read it, not just smile at people and be nice, not just "try to be good"... NONE of us are "good". Nobody. We all fail. We're ALL sinners. We all need Christ and His forgiveness.  Being a Christian is not about being "perfect." It's not about being liked. It's not about sitting in the seat on Sunday morning.  None of those things makes a Christian.  Trusting Jesus and believing in His death and resurrection as the payment for our sin - that's what makes us Christians.  As Christians we are called to show God's love and be like Him.  Well, God's love is unselfish. Sometimes it's just not about us. Sometimes God calls us to do things that are hard!  Sometimes doing the right thing is unpopular. A lot of times in this world you hear to "focus on yourself." Well, that's not what the Bible says...  The other day we were talking about Cub Scout popcorn sales coming up. Out of the blue, A told me how he wants to use all his gift cards he will likely get from that... Ready for this? You probably won't believe it... He wants to use it to buy V*ktor a Nintendo DS for Christmas. Such a sweetie. Makes my heart smile to have such a kind and caring kid.

I can't go very long without this song popping in my head. Josh Wilson, "I Refuse"
'Cause I don't want to live like I don't care
I don't want to say another empty prayer
Oh, I refuse
To sit around and wait for someone else
To do what God has called me to do myself

Oh, I could choose
Not to move but I refuse

Oh I just LOVE that song! Action! Love in action. I see it all around me. Friends, family, strangers who want to take action and make a difference! People sometimes tell us we are a blessing. Honestly, we see YOU all as blessings to us!  We serve an awesome God!

Below is information on some activities/fundraisers we have coming up. Spread the word and let me know if you are interested in anything or have questions!
YARD SALE- TAKING DONATIONS - If you have junk (uh, I mean treasures) that you want out of your house and think someone might want, let me know!  We are going to have a garage sale on September 8th (during the town garage sales - venue TBD). All proceeds will go towards adoption!  I can pick up stuff from you, or we can arrange a time for you to bring it over!

Tshirts - All The Tshirt info is in the last post. I have had a LOT of people telling me they want some. So, feeling pretty confident that we won't have a problem selling them, I'm going to go ahead and order.  Also, our wonderful Dollar General store has offered to let us sell them out front one Saturday morning!  Not sure of a date on that, but I think it's pretty cool!

5K - We are tossing around 2 options.  One is a morning 5K on September 29th at 7am.  The other possibility is a GLORUN the next Friday evening - haha which is our anniversary.  Still checking logistics on both options, but all you runners keep that in your head and I'll update this post and my facebook when we decide for sure.

Soup Supper - TBD

You can donate here (non tax-deductible):
http://www.youcaring.com/fundraiser_details?url=bringviktorhome&fundraiser_id=7124

If you would prefer to make a tax-deductible contribution, please contact me and I can give you details.

No comments:

Post a Comment