Monday, March 11, 2013

3-1-13 We Get To Have A Party

I have been having a great time hanging out with V*ktor and all his friends these last few days. They are all very polite, kind boys. I will have lots more pictures in my album of all the kids, so check them out. Please pray with me for his best friend Mi$ha. He has been asking for a family. It’s possible he could come to America on hosting this summer. Could you be that family? Thinking of a summer mission trip? You could include your whole family and never have to leave your home! Hosting is a great way to show a kid Christ’s love and give them an opportunity to meet a forever family while they‘re here (even if it’s not your family).

Tuesday I ended up taking the can of tuna to the housekeeper, Kartya. She was kind enough to help me. Wednesday, we had Ramen noodles and just hung out at the hotel in the morning. When we got to school, we went to the playroom. Sa, J2, M, and Va were all in there. We introduced them to spoons! It was fun watching them figure out the game and then dive around trying to gather spoons once they understood the game. At one point, the kids all had to go to the “clothes” room. I think they get different clothes once a week (or maybe twice?). V*ktor stayed and played on the tablet. The boys all came back later, we made some videos, and everyone played different games for awhile. It’s really neat to watch all these boys play with C. They just LOVE her - I mean, she is pretty cute! Still, I’m surprised at how natural they are with her. V*ktor had talked about doing a party with his friends on Saturday, so we called Aleksey and had him speak to the director on the phone. He said yes! So, Saturday, I will be taking 13 teenagers to a pizza place. I’m really glad J (V*ktor’s roommate who speaks English) will be there so I will have somebody who understands what I say and can communicate it to everyone- haha! I’m pretty sure a teacher will be going, too. They’d have to with that many kids. We stopped at the market as we left and V*ktor got a few snacks. C and I decided to eat at the hotel so we didn’t have to go back out.

Thursday, C woke up at 7:30. That’s waaaaaay earlier than usual! I tried to let her watch Sesame Street on the computer, but she kept wanting to push the buttons on the computer, which turned it off. Finally, I gave up and woke up. By 9am, she was fast asleep again. Really? Oh well, at least I got a bath without having to hurry before she got crabby. When it was time for lunch, I discovered that the entire loaf of bread had mold on it! I’ve learned that the bread goes moldy at an insanely rapid rate, so usually I just pull off the molded crust and eat the part that‘s fine. It was a little late for this bread. So, I ended up giving C the last Ramen package and ordering bacon and eggs (or bekon and eieetsa) with fried potatoes (smazshna kartopla ne fri). We ventured out a little early on our walk so I could stop by the pizza place to arrange plans for Saturday. I am telling you - the taxi drivers may know the potholes in the roads like second nature, but I have the stroller sidewalk slalom DOWN! I’m an expert at which side of the road has the better sidewalks and where to cross. I know when the stroller will take the curb or when I have to tilt it back. I know where to watch for water even when it’s pretty dry out. I even know which dogs will go crazy barking as we walk by. Oh the things I never thought I’d need to know! The English-speaking guy was there at the pizza place, so I talked to him. I always kind of wonder if people know just enough English to say a few words or if they really understand what I’m saying. Guess we’ll find out Saturday!

When I got to school, V*ktor was ready to go and said his friends may join us later. He said he was asking different friends today who didn’t get to go Tuesday. Halfway between the school and restaurant, J caught up with us. He must have run the whole way from his town school! He got to skype with his parents in Se*ttle. It was about 4:45AM their time, but they definitely didn’t mind. Then, Mi$ha, Va, and Iv all joined us later. Everyone ate, played on the computer, played with C, and then the boys headed back for a concert practice of some sort. We skyped with N and the kids (the ones who just got back from Latvia) for a few minutes before they started school. V*ktor and I headed back to the orphanage a little early because I wanted to get video of O for his Mom. We didn’t find him, but Sa, J2, M, and J were all playing soccer so I got some video of them just before we left. I had heard M’s bday was sometime recently (within the last few months), and I asked V*ktor. He looked puzzled and then realized he didn’t even know when M’s bday was. He said, “I ask. Maybe cake Saturday for M?” What a sweetheart- read my mind!

C and I ate at a good restaurant. The waitress knew some English this time - unlike the other time I was there by myself and ended up with borscht and whatever I could point to on the menu! C had her bath and went to sleep early. Then, she woke up crying for about an hour because she had slept too early! Ah well, that’s how it goes! We are about to go looking for balloons and candles for tomorrow. Can’t wait! It will be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment